14th Annual RISI Asian Pulp and Paper Outlook Conference Draws Record Attendance
Friday 26. July 2013 - 2014 Event to Be Held in Shanghai in June
RISI, the leading information provider for the forest products industry hosted its 14th Annual Asian Pulp and Paper Outlook Conference this year in Shanghai, China, from June 17-19, along with its new one-day seminar, Global Timberland Investment Trends and Opportunities for Chinese Investors, held in conjunction with the conference on June 19.
The conference attracted a record 245 attendees from 191 organizations across the Asian pulp and paper industry. Attendees included executives from paper companies, merchants, pulp producers, suppliers, financial analysts, consumer products companies, as well as other end-users.
“As always, the RISI Asian Outlook conference in Shanghai this year attracted both speakers and attendees of the highest level and from the top producers in the region,” says Mark Rushton, Editor, Pulp & Paper International. “One of the unique aspects of the Asian event is the sheer variety of topics that need to be covered-from macroeconomics and government viewpoints to sustainability in packaging as well as the vital outlooks for tissue, graphic paper and dissolving pulp in the region. RISI really hit the mark with broad, in depth coverage once again this year.”
During the conference, Mr. Li Hongxin, chairman of Sun Paper, was named 2013 Asian CEO of the Year and delivered the keynote address titled, “Faith in Development, Grasp Opportunity in China”.
The program also featured presentations and panel discussions with industry leaders from throughout the Asia who explored hot button issues facing the region including:
• The Challenges of Sustainable Growth of the Paper Industry in Asia, Mingming Liu, President and CEO, Voith Paper Asia
• Challenges of Sustainable Packaging in Asia (Panel Discussion)
• China’s Tissue Market Outlook, Liu Yuwu, General Manager and Director, C&S Paper
• India’s Paper and Board Market, Vijay Gupta, Managing Director, DaiEi Paper (SA)
• New Trends of China’s Economy Under New Leadership, Dr. Li Yiping, Professor, Economics, Renmin University of China
• The Paper Industry on the Whole from a Financial Analyst’s Point of View, Tony Zhou, Chief Analyst, Equity Research Dept., SYWG Research and Consulting
In addition, RISI economists delivered forecasts for important industry sectors, including:
• Status of Global Dissolving Pulp Market and China’s Appetite, Rod Young, Chief Economic Adviser
• Global Recovered Paper Market Outlook, Hannah Zhao, Senior Economist, Recovered Paper
• China’s Influence on Global Graphic Paper Markets, Recent RISI Study Provides the First Detailed Inside Glimpse of the Chinese Market, Li Meng, Asian Graphic Paper Economist
• China’s Woodchip Import Market, Gavin Hao, Forestry Specialist
• Very Dynamic China – What Can Be Expected Next, Esko Uutela, Principal Economist, Tissue
• Global Containerboard Market Outlook, Ken Waghorne, Vice President, Packaging
RISI First Global Timberland Investment Seminar
RISI also hosted a one-day seminar on Global Timberland Investment Trends and Opportunities for Chinese Investors, held in conjunction with the Pulp and Paper Outlook Conference on June 19. At the seminar, designed for international forest owners, international investors, government agencies and other industry professionals, attendees networked with industry executives and learned about outward investments in forests and timber around the world directly from leading experts.